Tuesday, April 19, 2011

 

Monmouth College

On Monday, April 18th, I was invited by Heather Kelly, of Monmouth University and CJ Lonoff of Speaking Matters to visit students at Monmouth College in New Jersey to talk a bit about the disaster in Japan. I was just back from Japan and of course the tsunami, earthquake and nuclear plant troubles were the topic of conversation. I learned a great deal while there, and had much to talk about with students. I really enjoyed myself and meeting so many young people.



I was very moved to see that the students at Monmouth were raising money for the Japan Society to try to help the people of Japan. Students had folded paper cranes--each was a dollar. I asked if anyone knew the story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. They did not--and so I shared this story with them.



This was not the first time that I've visited a college and talked about Japan, but this visit was special--I was moved to see how young people really care about Japan and want to be helpful to a place that is so dear to me.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?