Sunday, April 17, 2011

 

Boys Over Flowers, NPR

If you've followed me for a while, then you know how much I enjoyed Yoko Kamio's series, Hana Yori Dango and the Fuji TV adaptation in particular. I find it interesting that in shoujo manga, there is a tradition of celebrating plucky, clever heroines. Here in the west, comic books seem to focus so much on super powers. But Tsukushi, like many other manga heroines, is "ordinary"--just very spirited and brave.

I wrote all about my love of Hana Yori Dango for NPR, which ran a segment with my voice this past week. You can listen and read here.

For the uninitiated--the Japanese series is mostly available on bootleg copies from Hong Kong which I have heard you can find on Amazon and Ebay. I do also recommend the Korean series--the actors are very good, though the ending annoyed me. There is also the original adaptation from Hong Kong, which spawned a pop group named...drumroll...F4.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?