Friday, June 25, 2010

 

Solid Food



One thing people kept asking me in Japan: had Ewan started eating solid food? No, I explained. I was waiting until I got home to the US, so my husband could be a part of the foodie fun. We are, after all, both lovers of food. But the constant questioning was a reminder to me of what a foodie culture Japan really is. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who didn't love food, or didn't speak about it enthusiastically in Japan. And it's sort of not a surprise, seeing as how Japanese food really is one of the world's great cuisines (in both the high and low eating experience sense).

So, I picked up a Japanese book on how to start feeding a baby. We've been examining it carefully here at home and I have to say that it is eminently more detailed and helpful than any western book I've found so far. Look, for example, at this, well, charming and useful illustration of how the baby's tongue is able to move at 5-6 months, 7-8 months, 9-11 months and 1 to 1 and a half years. I mean, that's useful and fascinating information! I plan to watch Ewan's tongue the next time I feed him.

And then there are helpful pictures like this which show you exactly how finely a carrot should be chopped/pulverized/pureed to correspond to age and tongue movement. And then there is the list of acceptable foods, which includes fish right from the get go! Take that, western books recommending bananas and sweet potato only! This whole marrying of art and science when it comes to food can start at such a young age. And why not? I mean, if food is something you take very very seriously, best to start good habits when very young.

I think I'm going to the farmer's market this weekend to find the perfect carrot, which I will steam and puree . . .


Comments:
I learned about you from Eugenia Kim's tweet. I do "haiku+artwork" ( http://seehaikuhere.blogspot.com/ ). If you are interested, please email me. This is a collaboration project and is free.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?