Saturday, February 06, 2010

 

Japanese Baby Reading

I received a package from Japan this week which made me burst into tears. My childhood cousins/friends had put together a little packet of Japanese books for Ewan, with a note that read: "We hope that you will one day love Japan." Obviously, I hope so too.



You'll probably recognize the image on the cover of this one book--it's the story of the bamboo princess. There are lots of other books too, about the heroic peach boy Momotaro--and other stories suitable for a boy. Plus, this will force me to read in Japanese.



I also love these alphabet books. Each page flips up to reveal a word that starts with the letter of the alphabet.



And for those who have been through my Japanese Fairy Tale lecture--note that all the "items" are alive and have faces, as in the tangerine and glasses below. Growing up in the west, Ewan will have no choice but to come face to face with monotheism. But maybe he'll get to escape this with a healthy dose of animism thanks to his exposure to Japan, where everything is animated.



And then there are books with stories that I don't know. It will be fun for us to explore these together.


Comments:
Soon you'll be getting kiddie books from all over the world, hint hint. :P
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?