Sunday, November 08, 2009

 

Vermin on the Mount: Los Angeles



After a day of playing around in Los Angeles (and a good nap and Chinese meal), I went over to the Mountain (the other mountain) to read. As it turned out, a few of the readers were folks I knew from Bread Loaf. We were told at Bread Loaf that the effect of our experience in Vermont would only become clear over time, and I'm already finding this to be true. At Odyssey Books in South Hadley, MA, for example, I saw Elli Meeropol, who I met this summer in Vermont. And in this photo here are: yours truly, Jim Ruland, Kieren van den Blink and Alex Espinoza.



Also at the reading, was Bread Loaf's head waitress and writer Jennine CapĆ³ Crucet, who you can sort of see in the background, seated on the left. Jennine just published the much lauded "How to Leave Hiahleah" and unfortunately, she left the bar before we thought to take a photo. So, sadly, this is the only photographic evidence I have of having seen her atall.



Some old friends came out for the evening too. Here I am with David Moses, who I knew in high school--we hung with the same creative crowd, and wouldn't you know, he works in Hollywood now. And wouldn't you know--when I asked if he would be able to help me film the reading (for something I will need at a later date), he knew exactly what to do to help me. I'm quite grateful.



I've long known that there are other Mocketts in the United States, though ours is a rare name. My grandmother spoke often of Horace and Walter--brothers to my great-grandfather (I think). Horace, she said, was a "black sheep," which I have always taken to mean that he figured out warmer weather was better than the cold winters of New Jersey, and high-tailed it off to California long before it was fashionable to do so.

One of thsee Mocketts and I have connected via Facebook--and here he is, my long lost "cousin" Ken Mockett, looking all tall and fit and handsome. We must be related!

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?