Monday, January 12, 2009

 

Earthshattering

Just read my first earthshatteringly great novel for 2009 and am sitting here still in a daze. My friend Kaytie, with whom I was chatting online, said to me: "It has been a long time since you have been so moved by fiction."

I want very much to say what I have read, but am not sure I can since it hasn't officially been published, and the ARC I received was a loan. But I'm feeling all agitated and desperate to share because the book is that good. It's violent and beautiful and raw. And it contained a very, very complicated love story that I didn't expect.

On the phone today with my friend Maud, I said: "I don't think of myself as a girly girl reader. And yet, I completly fell for this love story." She agreed. And I was reminded again of how, when something is done well--anything--it becomes interesting.

What's more, the novel was written by a man, from a woman's point of view. And it succeeds scarily well. Over and over I read the "woman's point of view written by a man" book, and it fails. This did not.

I find myself dreaming about the book, thinking it would make a fine opera or ballet. I envy everyone who will be able to read this book for the first time, and wish I could go back in time and read it anew.

Edited to add: Maud has outed me. The novel is The Book of Night Women by Marlon James.

Comments:
I hope you can share the title soon as you've got my attention.
 
Oh, I will share the info as soon as I can! I'm so excited for this book and for the writer. I'm glad you are interested!
 
I'm sad I have to wait to read it then then. It's been a long time since I have read anything that could be described as earthshattering.
 
I know, V. I can't wait for you to read Marlon's book. There's so much I want to talk to you about when you do!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?