Saturday, December 06, 2008

 

Blue Equals West, Red Equals East

I found an interesting display of graphic images over at Mountain Runner. These were designed by a Chinese person now residing in Germany and attempt to show, in abbreviated visual language, how the east and west differ. Some are really compelling and some--eh--not so much.



Take, for example this display of anger. In the west (the blue is always the west), it is obvious what someone is feeling; the Asian person may seethe internally, but be disinclined to show you. I am guilty of both. Sometimes it is patently obvious how angry I am, but very often, I keep it to myself.



This one, a representation of travel, made me laugh. Everyone by now knows the stereotype that Japanese like to photograph everything. When I travel with my mother, there generally comes a point where I declare that I am tired of taking photos and want to just enjoy the experience of being where I am. Of course, later, I'm happy to have the photos!



Dealing with problems. In a very, very general way, I think that this is true. There can be a bluntness about life in the west that seems very practical but a little vulgar. And then, there is the "avoidance" tactic of the east that becomes infuriating.



What's trendy. Ain't that the truth!

More graphics, sans commentary, available over here.

Comments:
Harvey is discussing these as well, and I might just do it too...pretty interesting stuff!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?