Tuesday, November 18, 2008

 

Final Edit (Again)

So, once again I have turned in what I think is the final edit on my manuscript. Only this time, the editor seems to agree. We just had lunch and it was one of those fun conversations where you realize that you are a writer because someone is asking you questions about characters you have created, and is worried about them and wondering about them and you think, "Oh, right. They're alive now."

It's a neat feeling.

On the creative end, I think I knew that this was the final edit when I realized how organic the draft had become. Organic. This is a word that writing types use a lot. But what does it mean?

In my case, it meant that when I changed a section here or there, it impacted the entire manuscript. Usually when we think of edits (or when I think of edits), I think of entire rewrites. Edit implies to me that the entire work isn't bright enough or clear enough of vivid enough. But toward the end of my editing, a curious thing happened. If I changed chapter 13, chapter 14 suddenly became more emotional. When I added a small scene in chapter 3, chapter 6 suddenly took on more meaning. I think this is what people mean when they say that a manuscript is suddenly organic--things are deeply interconnected so that by changing one thing, everything else reverberates more. It's a humbling thing to witness and I had the strange feeling that what I had created no longer had anything to do with me.

Comments:
Congratulations, Marie. It's such a marvelous book.
 
Thank you. ;-)
 
Wow, it sounds like an amazing process. I hope I have the patience and intelligence and insight to write something someday.

Can't wait to read your book!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?