Tuesday, November 04, 2008

 

EdAss Unmasked

On this glorious morning, I'd like to say a few things about my friend Moonrat, otherwise known as the (former) EditorialAss.

I know who s/he is. IRL, I mean. And, no, I won't disclose his/her identity because at this point I consider Moonrat a friend, and friends don't out each other like that.

However, the fact that I know who Ed Ass is does mean that I have a little bit of extra insight into the posts you see. And here is what I have to say: Moonrat in person is pretty much Moonrat online. That is to say, Moonrat cares passionately about books and writers. The EdAss wants you to have as much information as possible to write the best books that you can--because Moonrat wants to read the best books. EdAss does a lot (and I mean A LOT) of work for which Moonie isn't paid, and that you don't read about on the blog, and this is just because books and writing in the Moonie universe are THAT important.

Case in point. Someone wanted to know how many books you would need to sell to have a "bestseller." Moonie told you the truth. I've had rough patches with my career; Moonie gives me advice for free. A newish writer friend of mine was trying to figure out which agent to sign with (actually, this has happened a few times) and Moonie told me the unvarnished truth about all the candidates. The only reason why the EdAss shares this kind of information is to be a good friend, and to promote good books and writing.

I would like to say even more, but this not using he/her pronoun thing is killing me, and I'm terrible at funny haikus. So. Moonrat, I'm so glad that you are my friend and I thank you enormously for the many things you have done for writers. I am so proud of your conviction--even when books break your heart--and have tremendous faith in your ability to continue contributing to the healthy side of publishing.

Comments:
<3
 
my first time here. thank you for celebrating with moonie. lucky you to know her irl. and also thank you so much for your kind words about my art. it was the boost i needed on a bad day. =)

good luck with your debut! eee! so exciting!!!
 
ps. i've added you to my blog reads! love finding great new blogs!
 
Cindy--sorry to hear you had a bad day, but boy do we all get them. Your art is really wonderful, and your site does such a nice job of showing off the many facets of your life. I loved seeing the photos of your family. Here's to good working days ahead!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?