Friday, October 03, 2008

 

Hot Young Writers



Somehow I have gone from being a girl who wanted to be a writer, to a girl with a book coming out next year.

At the same time, I find myself enormously pleased by the success of my fellow-writer friends, who are rapidly ascending to the level of "hot young writer." As much as I'm not crazy about this photo, I thought I'd post is a evidence that we do, in fact, all know each other.

My friend Kaytie, to the far right, has written a wonderful and adventurous novel, and has signed with Robert Guinsler at Sterling Lord Literistic. They are lucky to have her. Kaytie has an amazing work ethic and always reminds me that I, too, must keep working even when I don't feel like it.

Alexi Zentner, my stalwart champion who once urged me on declaring: "Have some fucking confidence in yourself," has just won the top prize at Narrative Magazine for a short story. Another story comes out next year in Atlantic Monthly.

Maud Newton I cheered earlier this year for her prize-winning essay on Narrative, titled "Conversations You Have at Twenty."

Lisa Gluskin Stonestreet just placed a couple of poems in typically highbrow journals; blackbird, failbetter and Third Coast.

Finally, I was able to see Vanessa Hutchinson in California during my father's memorial when we stole away for a few minutes to talk. She won a Stegner two years ago, and was nominated for a Pushcart last year. She's returned from a research trip to the Carribean looking all glowly and soulful and I can't wait to read her novel.

Comments:
Aw...thank you for helping me feel legitimate. :)

I'm so thrilled for all of us! And congrats to Lisa - those three publications are ones I read and enjoy.
 
Thanks, Kaytie - and Marie. Yes, nice to feel some legitimacy in a month during which I heard a lot more nos then yeses. (By the way, the main reason those poems are appearing in said journals is that back in January, Marie swept into town, said "You haven't submitted anything in way too long," and then Made Me Do It. Thanks, friend.)
 
Hey, the main reason these poems are appearing is because you are a wonderful poet and the poems needed and deserved a home.

Get writing and when I come back to SF, we'll have another rainy-day envelope stuffing party!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?