Tuesday, August 12, 2008

 

Cell Phone Lust

Updates: New photos have been released. This thing is ugly beyond description.

On a recent flight, a Japanese man struck up a conversation with me. He was an electronics fan, kitted out with fancy earplugs, a Japanese cell phone on which he could watch his pre-recorded Japanese soap operas and Nintendo DS. I complained about American cell phones. I said:

1. I want to be able to go to Japan, make calls, receive calls, check my email and not pay $2.00 per minute to do all these things.

2. Same as above, but replace "Japan" with "the UK."

3. I want to be able to stand in the middle of a wheat field in Nebraska and check the radar for a storm, and for the price of wheat in Kansas City, and sell some bushels if the price is good.

4. I want to be able to get driving directions to go see my new farmer friends who live on unpaved "county" roads.

5. I want a decent connection to the internet so I can find a bookstore, a yarn store, a new restaurant, etc..

6. I'd like to be able to access i-Tunes and watch video or listen to music.

7. I'd like to be able to take decent photos.

I went on to say that while I love the i-Phone, I'm not sure about the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, and I don't like how much I have to pay to take the thing to Japan.

Fear not, he said. The Google cell phone, known as Android, is coming. Have patience. I would soon have everything I wanted. He knew because he worked for Google, Japan. "You won't have to wait much longer," he said confidently, before sedating himself with his fancy ear buds. "Last quarter," he announced before dozing off. The oracle had spoken.

Today I saw this:



I've been reading about the Blackberry Bold, which sounds nice and all, but my money might be on this Android thing. And then I read this:

". . . during the presale of the G1, T-mobile customers can pick up the phone for $150. This is where it gets interesting, we’re not seeing any prices for new activations during the presale, so this could mean that only current T-mobile customers can pick up the G1 during the presale. Other customers interested in the G1 may have to wait until beginning/mid October before a national public launch."


I think it's time for an upgrade, being a T-Mobile customer and a citizen with a Google account. For once, not having an ATT account might actually work in my favor.

Thank you stranger from the airplane.

World, here I come.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?