Tuesday, July 29, 2008

 

Home

A Japanese relative once said to me: "Marie, you have so many places to call home. Aren't you lucky?"

At the time, I wasn't sure how to respond to this.







And now I realize, he is right.

I don't always feel so lucky. I envy people with family who are close by and who are always dependable (they are always dependable when they are close by, right?). I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be someone with one clear sense of place. Coming home would mean that everyone would speak the same language and that translation would not be the job of a select few. Is this a less lonely existence? In an emergency, someone would always be there to help me; I would never be on my own.

Then again, to have so much love for so many seemingly different places, and to have this love because I was taught it by my parents and my grandparents, seems like something to treasure. I'd rather have my father back than be forced to have the level of introspection I've been engaged in the past two months.



But on the whole, I'm glad to have been forced to think about the meaning of home and to have reclaimed a part of the country that I love dearly, and probably always will. (Now, if someone could please just lower the price of gas and/or airfare).

Comments:
Oh my god. The first photo " the small castle on the quay along the seashore " looks awesome ! I envy you if it's one of your homes. I doubt I could ever call such a romantic place a home in my life.
 
Well, it's just as much my "home" as Yamadera is! Seriously, that is a picture of a castle in Scotland, and while the castle is not my home, I now consider Scotland to be.

It's nice to see you, Tofuunion. I hope you are doing well.
 
Well, to be double it could be awkward about the communication between family members. But most Japanese even don't speak English at all. And they hardly can imagine you have multiple places outside Japan as your home.

By the way, you really look after your dad.
 
隣の芝生は青いですね

I grew up in one place with all my family in the same place. Being close by just means they can be unreliable more often.
 
Yes, it is.

And that is a good point. Sticking with the theme, the grass is often greener . . .
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?