Thursday, July 03, 2008

 

Beach Break



I've been working as much as I possibly can for the past few weeks. But the weather Thursday was glorious, and I thought maybe I deserved a small break. I remember whining a few weeks ago that I wanted to go to the beach at home, so I thought it only made sense to make good on my complaining.

I actually took this photo and the one above. Though I would never consider myself a good photographer, I was pleased by how well the pictures turned out. The landscape is simply this beautiful.



You can't see how the kelp is moving in the water, but perhaps you can imagine it a bit. I found it soothing.



In the distance, Bird Rock plays host to dozens of birds.



A Scotsman adapts very quickly to warm and sunny conditions.



Later in the day, we went to Carmel beach for a cookout. This is something I did with my parents many times over the years. I had the feeling that the weather was going to be better on July 3rd, than July 4th (and it later turned out that I was right) and really wanted to eat a steak today. Of course it helped that Gordon picked up a bottle of good wine.

Here, a novice pyro learns from a pro. My mother was not feeling well, but she put in the effort to get herself to the beach. She later ended up eating her entire steak, and didn't get sick over night.



This clever little grill collapses and is easy to clean. It's also easy to carry.

My father made the grill. He didn't like any of the ones that were for sale. His inventions have generally been better than anything on the market. He was like that, and his relentlessly innovative, problem solving-self is hugely responsible for the fact that I am unforgiving of followers while adoring original thinkers. He was also, simply put, a good person.

There are not enough good people in the world.

My mother and I bought these steaks back in November, hoping to have a small cookout around the time of my wedding. Unfortunately, we never managed to cook steak for any of our guests. But their loss was our gain.



Vegetarians beware. You won't like the photo below. Meat eaters will covet.



Can't say we look glamorous. But at least we are here. And we match.



A Scotsman pats his stomach, signaling satiation.



The grill below was surrounded by a barrier of small American flags, totally unattended. I had no problem with this, but a couple on the beach thought enough of the beach-hogging to report it to the police. I'm not kidding. This is what rich people do; they get upset that someone has chosen a "prime location" on the beach in anticipation of the 4th of July, and marked it off with small flags and a grill and left it unattended.

I give the policeman credit. He nodded and promised to investigate. "We moved here from San Jose," a member of the upset couple reported, as though this was some sort of explanation for why the abandoned grill was so offensive to them. They'd moved to Carmel, see, from San Jose expecting a greater attention to detail to their environment.

The service economy has really brought out a generation of wimps. But I digress.



By the time the sun set, we were not the only campfires on the beach. I always feel nostalgic when I see so many fires on the beach in the dark like this.


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?