Wednesday, May 21, 2008

 

A Dream

I used to have vivid dreams as a teenager and my father, ever the Jungian, liked to talk to me about the most upsetting ones and help me understand that they were about "transformation." I was a little bit proud of my dreams as an adolescent, though I never kept a dream diary the way that some people do.

I once asked him, "Do you still have vivid dreams?"

And he said, "No. Once I became an adult, they became must less intense."

Be that as it may, I had a strange dream on Sunday night. I dreamt that I was home in California, asleep in my childhood bed. I woke up and saw a shadow through the curtains, and when I looked outside, I saw a lion in the garden. I immediately alerted my parents, and recalled the cat into the house and shut all the doors and windows. We called for help, then waited as the lion prowled around and around the house.

I found my mother in the garage, sorting some boxes.

"What are you doing out here with the garage door open?" I said. "The lion is still outside."

"I couldn't wait any longer," she said. "I have work to do."

"But it's not safe. Where is the lion?"

"Over there," she pointed, and just then the lion attacked me from behind and knocked me over. I felt his claws in my left shoulder and thought to myself that I was going to die.

I remembered that when you are attacked by a lion, you must pretend to play dead. So I lay there, pretending to be dead, while the lion threw me around the concrete floor of the garage. Eventually I told myself that I was asleep and that I could wake up and I did.

My left shoulder hurt all day Monday.

One friend says: "You are worried about your parents."

Another friend says: "You are stressed about the future."

Another says: "You are worried about your home in California."

I'm thinking maybe it's just a dream.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?