Sunday, March 02, 2008

 

Only Love Can Make It Rain



My good friend Kurt--mysterious creature of the night, committed sybarite and philosopher--completely spoiled us in San Francisco. I wasn't surprised when he said he knew of a good restaurant he wanted to visit together. Kurt always knows where to go and he always does it in a style I will never able to emulate (shaking hands with the chefs, the perfect bottle of wine, those beautiful suits). . . After years of having been dismayed by my grungy, introverted ways, I think he's relieved I no longer embarrass him in public by wearing so many baggy layers . . .

The restaurant has some kind of past association with Nobu, where I've eaten in New York (and been disappointed). But the gastronomic experience at Ame was just so elevated.



I wondered at first if the name "Ame" referred to rain or sweets. I'm pretty sure, given the website and the slogan, that it refers to rain. Um, I don't get it. Exactly.









So much sashimi. I felt guilty. But Kurt wisely pointed out that you can't eat sashimi with everyone, and so when you are in a situation where you can, well, you might as well. On some issues, I can be such a pushover.





Dessert was pretty amazing too. This is an affogado with green tea. Now I see the word "affogado" everywhere. The mini-empanadas with huckleberry were delicious. I learned last year that huckleberry supposedly has healing properties. I hope so. I like them too much now.

Comments:
Wow...what beautiful food!
 
It was a dream of a meal, Heather. I don't think I'll ever replicate that experience.
 
Yes, that was a fantastic evening. I still find it rather funny how I randomly saw Gordon walking down the street that week. Next time give me some notice!

I was wrong about the Nobu connection. That was a different restaurant in Palo Alto called Jin Sho (which is also quite good). Still, I never grow tired of Ame.

/K


P.S. For the record, I don't ever recall being embarrassed being seen with you in public. On the contrary, I was worried that you were embarrassed to be seen with me in public.
 
Good grief. You were cool and I was not . . . thankfully we are past all that.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon.

;-)
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?