Sunday, March 02, 2008

 

Atmosphere




I pulled this photo off of Japundit. It was taken by one of the contributors at a matsuri down south.

I think there are countries and places as beautiful as Japan--and as devoted to beauty--but I don't there's any place in the world more beautiful. I think this is because people in Japan love atmosphere and nostalgia and will stop at nothing to create it. There's something so wonderfully mind-altering about stepping out of the day to day into what literally amounts to another world. Over and over again when I am out with friends, they will say to me: "Isn't the atmosphere wonderful?" I like the fact that this kind of sensitivity isn't class bound--or seen as a class obsession.

Of course, you could argue that this has something to do with the fact that Japan is a very wealthy country. But not all wealthy nations and people put so much into this kind of heightened environment for its citizens to experience "just because."

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?