Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

Pink Eye and the Center of the World

Fun title for a book, eh?

I've been home sick for the better part of a week and woke up a few mornings ago with an eye glued shut. I'll spare you the details, but will just say that it is awful to be sick and to not be able to see. Most of the time when I have a cold, I pass the time by reading or knitting. Not so in this case. As it is, only one eye is really working this morning.

On to more pleasant matters.

A couple of days ago I woke up from a feverish sleep to hear cars honking with an urgency that is unusual even by New York standards. I looked out the window and managed to make out a fleet of cars draped in red and white checkered flags. Then it dawned on me. The World Cup had started.

I do not live in what could be considered the most physically beautiful neighborhood in the world, but it certainly has to be one of the most interesting. For starters, Queens is the world's most diverse city, and during World Cup time, I'm reminded of just how many countries are represented in my little area. The red and white checkered flag belonged to the Croatians, who were playing the Brazilians that day. The latter team won, and so all day long groups of people (and cars) dressed in green, yellow and blue ran around shouting and screaming at each other. The Croatians, not to be outdone, hung around the Croatian bar and sang.

Yesterday cars bearing the Spanish flag drove around the neighborhood honking for, as I'm sure you know, Spain won against Poland (I think).

I don't know who will play and win today, but am sure I'll see yet another flood of colors beneath my window (assuming this eye doesn't fog up again). I don't really remind this. It sort of cheers me up in my Cyclops state. And it is certainly better than the last World Cup which took place in Asia; all the games (and the victories) took place deep in the night or early in the morning, so that, like clockwork, we were regularly woken up around 3, 5 and 7 AM.

Comments:
Spain won to Ukraine.

Long time lurker here. I'm a bit ashamed to speak up for the first time commenting on soccer - XD - but yes, I agree, World Cup celebrations are colorfull and fun.

Get better.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?