Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Worldwide Bento

Once upon a time my mother used to send me to school with a carefully prepared bento. This was before the days of the Internet, and certainly before Japanese culture was so "cool." My evil second grade teacher took my bento out of my hands, and made the kids pass it around for inspection. By the time my beloved bento returned to me, it had been handled by about 25 people and I didn't want to eat it any more.

This story still makes me sad.

Now, the bento seems to have reached an almost mainstream status.



If you had told me when I was a child that a sign like this could be placed on the street and make sense to people, I don't know that I would have believed you.



The American bento does look a little bit different from the classic Japanese eki-ben, but the principles are still there, I suppose.



However, there are many times when I am traveling that I wish I could pick up a lovely bento like this. We just don't have them here in the States.




Mmm. Getting hungry?

First posted over at Japundit.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?