Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

Lettuce Club Dinners

I'm trying to spend an hour a day or so doing something that involves reading Japanese.

Lately, I've been reading recipies from Lettuce Club, which is a sort of home ec like magazine full of tips on how to be a far more efficient and tidy homemaker than I will ever have a prayer of being.



The latest effort involved lots of dishes with mushrooms. I made:

1. salmon with sauted peppers, onions and mushrooms
2. obligatory miso soup with shimeji
3. a salad with maitake, lotus, and bean sprouts
4. bean salad with white miso and walnut dressing
5. and of course rice.



It wasn't bad. I find that if you just learn some basic kanji (saute, mix, salt, sugar), then you can read most of these recipes. I'm thinking of picking up more cooking magazines.

On a related note, I've decided to read Banana Yoshimoto's book Kitchen in Japanese too.

Comments:
Orenji Page has the best recipes! And they also sometimes publish stuff like "Hajimete Okazu" or "Daijina Hito no tame no Okasu!" -- a collection of beginner recipes for a chick to snag a hungry guy with (rolls eyes).

Ah, natsukashi~~~i!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?